I was struggling this week. My partner’s mother recently passed away and we have been tied up cleaning out her home. In some ways this has been more of a new experience. Cleaning out someone else’s house and sorting through their possessions is a strange thing. You find yourself lost in another’s memories.
On the plus side, we have now upgraded a lot of our furniture. She had better quality items than us. Each of her son’s have taken pieces to upgrade their own homes. The rest went to charity.
The taking of new furniture does have a downside. I feel like I’ve moved house myself. We had to unpack our bookcases and dressers to move them out. Once the new furniture was in, we then needed to re-pack our items. It is an exhausting process.
I digress. The point I was making that was in such a busy and emotional time I thought that I would not meet my challenge. As Sunday arrived and I faced yet another day of housework, I was beginning to panic that my challenge of 52 new experiences would be halted at only 7.
Then we made a stop with family at Watsons Creek Antiques and Cafe. You may recall that this was my first new experience. I was thinking of this as I viewed the cake display and suddenly an idea was formed in my mind. Visitors at the café probably saw the lightbulb flash above my head as my face lit up in a smile. I had finally found a way to have a new experience.
I decided to order a cake I had never tried before. Unfortunately the only one that fit the bill was a cheesecake. Generally I am not a fan of cheesecake. The chocolate and Bailey’s cheesecake looked quite nice though. I love Bailey’s liqueur and thought that this might be my saving grace.
The cake arrived at the table and looked very inviting.
Sadly the cake itself wasn’t what I’d hoped. It still tasted distinctly like cheesecake. My hopes that the Bailey’s flavour would shine through and overpower the cheese were not to be. I’m sure if you like cheesecake you would’ve enjoyed this one. However, I found it too sweet and only managed to eat half of it. I did polish off all the fruit though. I guess I can’t expect all of my new experiences to be successful.
What new experiences have you had this week? I’d love you to share them.
To find out more about my challenge and read about my previous experiences click here.
- Bailey’s Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake (foodsinthefastlane.wordpress.com)
- Cheesecake: Recipes for Living (notecook.com)
- Cookie Dough + Cheesecake = ? (ask.metafilter.com)
- Best Chiquita Banana Orange Cheesecake With Chocolate Ganache Recipe (chiquitabananas.com)
- Cheesecake 2: Recipes for Living (notecook.com)
- Candice’s Low-Carb Pumpkin Cheesecake (yourlighterside.com)
- Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies (cantstayoutofthekitchen.com)
- Zesty Cheesecake in a Jiffy (foodnerd4life.com)
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Cheesecake Filled Chocolates (glutenfreerecipebox.com)
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheesecake – StumbleUpon (stjoetrucker.com)