One of my male friends posted a comment today on Facebook that read:
Women shouldn’t fart whilst with their man.
My immediate response was if it is good for the goose, its good for the gander!
So why is it ok for men to let one rip but not for women. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not one to drop a loud one in public. However, in the privacy of your own home it is much better to let it out! Afterall, men have no problems letting theirs out.
Are we really still at the point of thinking of women as delicate flowers? Frail but beautiful objects whose beauty separates them from normal bodily functions.
One of the replies to my friend’s comment was:
Girls don’t fart. They do winkie puffs that don’t smell.
While I love this comment, I have to wonder. Why don’t girls fart? We would never have this discussion about men farting. No one would ever say that men do winkie puffs.
It is quite acceptable for a man to fart in the privacy of his own home (and occasionally in public, particularly in the company of other men). It is ok for men to belch, leave the toilet seat up, snort, sniff, snore and stick their fingers in various orifices. This is all disgusting, yet totally acceptable behaviour for a man.
For a woman, it is taboo. Women don’t belch. Women don’t snort or snore. Of course not, women don’t even need to go to the toilet!
And when we do it smells like roses!
I find it mind boggling that as a woman I am expected to hold gas in my stomach until I feel sick. I am supposed to ignore all of natures gifts of sounds and smells.
Well you can stick that up your you know what. I will do my best for the courtesy of others to contain myself in public. At home though, you can expect me to belch and fart loudly and proudly. I am no different to the boys of my house (which is everyone else) and have the same rights as them. That means I can let them rip and stink up a storm. And if they don’t like it, they can cook their own dinner!
- Fart Types :0) (laughonline.wordpress.com)
- Japanese Fart Scrolls Are the Best Scrolls [Literature] (gawker.com)
- When the Farting Begins (sacratomatovillepost.com)
- I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don’t let anybody tell you different. (ask.metafilter.com)
- Why Women Really Wear Thongs, Trust Me (thecrimsoncrow.com)
- How to Fart In Front of Your New Significant Other [How-to] (gawker.com)
- Harvey, the Boy who Couldn’t Fart by Matthew Johnstone – review (guardian.co.uk)